This is the age of programming and coding and in the last few years software industry changes a lot. We can see a lot of automation and different kind of tools used by programmers and developers to perform their tasks and projects, and it's necessary too because a right tool can simplify your work environment and same time it improves your productivity. So, today we are going to talk about "Code Editors" tools, which play a vital role in programmer's workspace.
So first, Let's see , What is code Editor?
The formal definition is: “A code editor is a type of program used for editing plain text files.”
In our language we can say: A code editor is a program in our systems or computer that allows us to write, create and edit a range of programming languages codes on them very easily and it's also assist programmers to avoid some of the common mistakes in coding by providing them instant detailing of the code, which increase their efficiency.
So, this is very much important to use good code editors which comes with some common features which are necessary to make best use of it.
Let's look on to the common features in Code Editor you should look for.
- User-Friendly — It should be easy to use and navigate.
- Search & Replace — This is one feature through which you can easily search words and replace them with few clicks.
- Copy & Paste —This feature is no doubt one the most important feature because without cut,copy and paste we can not think to even write these days.
- Syntax highlighting — Only a programmer knows, how it feels when a single “;” (semi-colon) missed in a code of thousand lines results in a failed program execution. So, Code editor should contain syntax highlighting feature, it helps to read and pick up code errors easily.
- UTF-8 — Code editors should able to deal with UTF-8 encoded text.
- Extensions — When choosing a text editor one should also check plugins availability to the editor. It allows you to use it with additional features.
Now, comes the real problem
There are so many Code editors available but to choose from them can be a challenging task. It requires time, experiment and research to find out the best code editors. To help you out we have done all these things for you and compile a list of top 10 code editors. So without wasting any time let's start.
- Supports syntax highlighting
- Tabbed editing
- External Plugins Support
- Auto indentation
- Auto-completion of words & functions.
- Compiler Integration
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) support
- Search and Replace
Sublime is also one of the most popular editor tool. The sublime editor is not available for free but you can use free trial offer. This editor works on Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems and they have an advanced interface which is really good for server side programming. It is also lightweight but powerful editor which provides IDE-like features along with Python Scripting. This editor can be an alernative for Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This editor also allows you to use it without any complications. Easy to use and navigate.
- Lightning fast project switching
- Multiple line selection and editing
- Syntax highlighting
- Can be completely customized
- Programmers friendly Plugins support
- Side by side file comparisons
- cross platform support
- Distraction free mode (Black screen)
Vim is an open source free to use editor which is one of the oldest code editor of the industry. This editor works on windows, Linux, Mac os, Android and in iOS platforms. This editor supports large number of plugins which makes it fully customizable. This is one of the most powerful editor you can use but it demands your mastery due to its overtly techie nature but once you get it, you can find no other better options than this editor.
- Work very well with large files
- Supports complete keyboard operations
- Supports large numbers of plugins
- Useful in a remote development environment using a terminal over SSH
- It can be customized to heart’s content using .vimrc dotfile & VimScript
- Charityware (Donations go to charities)
Atom is also amongst open source free to use editors which was invented by GitHub. Atom is a quite new in this industry which was introduced as "hackable text editor for the 21st century". It's designed very simple but can be easily customize with the help of packages. This one is resemblance of sublime text editor. It's work on OSX 10.8 or later, Windows and Linux platforms.
- Very easy to use
- Highly customizable
- Offers git control and package management features
- Updates on regular basis with new functionalities and bug fixes
- Supports Command Palette
- Easy to Customise UI
5. Komodo Edit
- Syntax highlighting
- Auto indentation
- Code folding
- Auto completion
- Extension support and macros
- Multiple selections
- Code snippets
- Komodo IDE for Teams (you can upgrade for advance features)
In the end I would just say, the best text editor is the one you work most effectively with. You simply need to discover the editor that gets you there the fastest.
So, this is our selection of top editors for software programmer, we have tried our best to make this list but, if you used or using any other editors and find it better than the above mentioned list then let us know in the comment box below with it's key features.