These days the software industry is going under transformation and lots of new tools and skills introduced in software development process. So, today we will talk about a similar process & tool which plays a vital role in Software development. The process name is Release management. In this article we are going to help you to select best release management tools which are mostly used by professionals these days.
But, before moving forward let's have a look on to the Release management.
Let's see what is Release Management ?
As per the "wikipedia" Release management is the process of managing, planning, scheduling and controlling a software build through different stages and environments; including testing and deploying software releases. But in simple words we can say "Release management is a process to oversees development, testing, support and deployment of software." It is comparatively new process in the comparison of others but growing rapidly within the software development process.
It's growing rapidly which means it's really beneficial in "Software Development Life Cycle",
So let's have a look on to the benefits.
1. Team Collaboration — Release management helps to bridge the gap between development & operation team by involving them into the process through information sharing and instant communication.
2. Configuration Management — Release management helps to know what environment setting is, application requirements, and dependences exist in the production, test, and development environments.
3. Efficiency — Release management helps to increase the efficiency by reducing the time which spent on finding and fixing the problems with the help of tools which ultimately results to deliver reliable and quality software faster to the market or customer.
4. Increased Productivity — It also helps to increase productivity by pre planning of the best practices in the release process through which teams can utilise there times on important things rather than figuring out the what steps should be next or versions should be used or any other stuffs like that which delay the delivery process.
5. Minimizing Failure Risk — Release management helps to reduce the risk of release failure by making strong policies and allocation of works based on researched information and by providing them real time visibility into the release status which helps them to find the possible cause of failures and they can act on them quickly.
Now, let's move on to the next section. Release management is not an easy task to do. It requires team coordination , build versions tracking , transparency and much more. There for release management requires dedicated tools to make this process easy. So, I have done some research and choose the top 5 release management tools which are mostly used these days by professionals.
Here is the list:-
1. Serena Release Control
- Dashboards and Reports
- Environment Management
- Planning and Control
- Communication and Collaboration
- Managing Deployment and Task Lists
- Enterprise Scalability
- Microservices and Container Orchestration
- Shared Visibility
- Process as Code
- Advanced Deployment Strategies
- Enterprise Security and Compliance
- Automation at Any Scale
- Automated Rollbacks
- Environment Reservations and Calendaring
- Built-in Artifact Repository
3. BMC Release Process Management
- Easy to use
- Executable checklist
- Centralized management
- Meaningful metrics
- Extensive reach
- Better planning
- Multi-Application Continuous Delivery
- Impact Analysis
- Release Pipeline Visualization
- Release Gates
- Deployment Plans and Templates
- Federated Release Dashboard
5. XL Release
- End-to-end release dashboards
- Complex pipeline orchestration
- Automation that scales
- In-depth analytics and reports
- Enterprise auditability and controls
- Easy to use
So, This is my list of Top release management tools. Hope you guys will like my efforts and if you think this list should contain some other tools instead of this than feel free to share with us in the comment section below.