These days in software industry the process of software development very much rely upon best practices of various tools. The software development teams use various tools like project management, release management , test management and various others. As we already discussed about these tools in our previous posts. But, today we are going to discuss about Build management tool. This is one of the most important tool which required in any kind of software development. In this article we are going to discuss about Top Build Management Tools.
But before that let’s have a quick overview on Build management.
Build management is actually a process of collecting all the components in a software release, performing all the automated tasks to compile, build and test the system and then deploy onto the development and testing environments in preparation for staging. It has become an important part of software development in testing process.
But you can not simply do build management without tools. it is also important to ensure that tools are selected properly and thoroughly so that each of them provides the desired service.
So, without wasting any time let’s have a look on top 5 build management tools
1. Apache Maven
Maven is an open source build management tool which is distributed under Apache License. It is basically used for Java projects. let’s have a look on key feature of Maven tool
- Open source
- Based on Project Object Model or POM
- Release management and distribution publication
- Coherent site of project information
- Instant access to new features
- Extensible with plugins
- Works easily with multiple projects simultaneously
- Simple project setup
Gradle is also an open source build management tool which is distributed under Apache License. It is written in java and groovy supports cross platform. Let’s have a look on key features
- Open source
- Designed for multiple projects
- Supports incremental builds
- Rich API
- Mature ecosystem of plugins
- Ease of migration
- First build integration tool
- Declarative builds and build-by-convention
Apache Ant is also an open source build automation tool which is distributed under Apache License. It is also a Java based build tool. Let’s have a look on key features
- open source
- Ease of Use
- Independent Platform
- Can execute test scripts and test suites
- Can copy files to at different locations
- Supports Junit 3, Junit 4, Testing etc.
- Able to compile java based applications
- Can check out the code from version control system (SVN, GIT, CVS etc).
MsBuild or Microsoft build tools as its name indicates it belongs to Microsoft which is written in C# and supports .Net framework and available under MIT license.
- Able to build Visual Studio projects without Visual Studio IDE installed
- Now bundled with Visual Studio
- Description language – XML
Finalbuilder is a build tool which supports Windows platform and it is developed by VSoft Technologies in the year 2000. It is available under Proprietary license.
- It can present your build process in a structured manner
- With FinalBuilder you don’t need to edit xml, or write scripts
- Allows builds to be scheduled to run daily, weekly or whenever you wish
- Extensive library of pre-written actions to automate every common task in build process
- Integrated Debugging
- Detailed Logging
- Version Control Integration
Do you agree with this list? If not than feel free to respond in the comment box with your own take on the top build management tools. One more thing, I would like to add here, if you need help to learn all these build tools or DevOps courses than scmGalaxy
can help you in this. scmGalaxy is a community of DevOps professionals who are well experienced in this domain. So, feel free to reach us.